Every spiritual director is different, and each brings their own unique approach to meeting with people. However, the first meeting will likely be an informal, get-to-know each other session. Your director will probably ask you questions like:
- Briefly describe your spiritual journey.
- Do you regularly practice any spiritual disciplines?
- Are you a part of a church community?
- Have you ever met with a spiritual director before? Describe that experience.
- What are you hoping for in meeting with a spiritual director?
- What questions do you have about spiritual direction?
These questions don’t have a right or wrong answers. They are tools to give your director insight into your spiritual journey, past and present. Based on that initial conversation, you and the director will decide if you’re a good “fit” for each other, that is, if you both feel comfortable working together.
Your director will likely pray to open and/or close the session. They will likely leave the next meeting up to you to schedule.
Want to know more? Contact me and we’ll set up a time to talk!